JLPT Study Forum Index
 FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
[Mnemosyne] Revised set of 1kyu Vocabulary cards

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

jpatokal
JLPT Starter

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: [Mnemosyne] Revised set of 1kyu Vocabulary cards

Greetings,

I've found Mnemosyne's 1kyu Vocabulary cards incredibly useful, but unfortunately, the list seems to have been compiled automatically from WWWJDIC and contains numerous mistakes. Over the past half year, I've corrected all that I spotted, so here's a revised version:

http://jpatokal.iki.fi/tmp/1kyu%20Vocabulary%20List%20Revised.xml

Some examples of the changes:
- If a word has two common readings, the original list lists it twice, with eg. 歪む showing up in one card as ひずむ and in another as ゆがむ. These have been merged, so 歪む now appears once as ひずむ、ゆがむ.
- Some words with multiple readings only showed one reading, eg. 角 is listed only as つの "horn".  Important additional readings like かく "angle" and かど "corner" have been added to these.
- The original list occasionally gave very unpopular readings for common kanji. For example, 人気 was given as ひとげ, when the normal reading is にんき.
- For words with multiple meanings, the English gloss often selected the least used one. For example, 婿 むこ was given as "son-in-law", when it more commonly means "husband" or "groom", and 努めて つとめて was glossed "make an effort!", when it should be "as much as possible".

Give it a spin and let me know what you think; I'll be submitting it to the Mnemosyne Project to replace the current file.

JanneM
JLPT Helper

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Thanks!

I've been using the level 2 and the level 3-4 cards lately; I figured I should rehearse that vocabulary first and discovered I'm actually pretty shaky on a lot of it :-/ I plan to start on the level 1 cards soon though, and your revised edition should really help. The 2-4 level cards have the same problems as the level 1 cards do, by the way, but they're still incredibly useful.

Edit: I took a look, and ひとけ is probably correct for level 1. The にんき reading is in the earlier level cards already, so ひとけ is likely in level 1 as a second, rarer reading. 角 as かど and すみ are already covered in level 3-4 and level 2 cards respectively as well. You might want to check this before you inadvertently remove readings that really should be there, or add readings that are already covered in earlier levels.

NeWbY
JLPT Helper

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject:

おつかれ!
I kinda know it's difficult to choose the proper reading for some kanjis :P
But good job on the editing ^_^, might use it next year Smile

jpatokal
JLPT Starter

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject:

JanneM wrote:
Edit: I took a look, and ひとけ is probably correct for level 1. The にんき reading is in the earlier level cards already, so ひとけ is likely in level 1 as a second, rarer reading. 角 as かど and すみ are already covered in level 3-4 and level 2 cards respectively as well. You might want to check this before you inadvertently remove readings that really should be there, or add readings that are already covered in earlier levels.

This occurred to me as well, but I see no reason to exclude a common reading from a card just because it's been theoretically covered earlier. If you run into 角 on the L1 test, it may use any of those readings, and you need to know them all.

As for ひとけ, you may be right, but there's only one way to find out -- does anyone have a copy of the original L1 vocabulary list?

NeWbY
JLPT Helper

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Here:
guide_to_passing_jlpt_lvl_1.pdf - 1.8 Mb

jpatokal
JLPT Starter

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject:

NeWbY wrote:
Here:

Thanks! According to that, it's appeared in text as both にんき and ひとけ (once each), but the one time it showed up in the kanji section, the expected reading was にんき.

jpatokal
JLPT Starter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I've uploaded a revised-revised version of the vocab, including a new file with 100+ JLPT Level 1 grammar structures, to the Mnemosyne site:

JLPT Level 1 Vocabulary and Grammar

Enjoy! Idea

Snaggs
JLPT Starter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject:

NeWbY wrote:
Here:

And here's a handy page describing how to remove the virus that the TurboUpload site installed on my computer when I stupidly downloaded this file:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5146071_manually-remove-antivirus-system-pro.html

Perhaps your anti-virus software is better than mine. If not, I'd really recommend not downloading this file. It took me about 6 hours to get rid of the virus. What a waste of time!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JLPT Study Forum Index -> Level N1 All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: